There was an error in this gadget

Thursday, May 08, 2008

Beneath the Beads: Sunny French Elevator

Sometimes I get inspiration for a piece of jewelry in the strangest places. Take this one, for instance, I was in a very sunny elevator (note the glasses) carrying the flowers I'd bought at the outdoor market that morning. I was wearing a contemporary Mother of Pearl button necklace made by a French friend (who is a jewelry crafter), and carrying a chartreuse purse. I was on my way, with my husband, to our friends' apartment several floors up, for dinner. While in the elevator, I stopped thinking of what they would be having tonight... confit de canard (French for slow-roasted duck leg) with carmelized onions, and began to look at the colors around me..It was then I decided to create a pair of earrings with chartreuse curly cord -- the French love it and use it extensively in Bridal jewelry --and pink Swarovski bicones and tiny matching glass beads. I'll be posting a photo of those wonderfully fun earrings in my next blog. I also had an idea for a modified version of the necklace I was wearing in this picture, using the vintage and antique buttons I'd collected at antiques shops, brocantes (flea markets) and vide greniers (translated: "empty the attic sales,"where whole villages put their items for sale on tables outside their homes), and trocantes (warehouses where mostly used furniture and household items -- but also an occasional bead or button can be found). Look for a posting this week of the two button necklaces I designed and created from antique and vintage Mother of Pearl buttons I purchased in France and Italy. If you're into beads and buttons, you are sure to love these necklaces!

2 comments:

Mei (WireBliss) said...

Hi Jan! Its Mei, nice to meet you. Looking forward to visit your blog more often :)

Jan said...

Thanks for visiting, Mei! I love your beautiful jewelry and will certainly be back to visit your blog as well. Jan